That’s a Wrap on the 2017 Baseball Season

Spencer Harke

The baseball team is closing out a roller coaster of a season. They started the season with high hopes and expectations. They were looking to improve on a good year last year and establish themselves as a formidable presence in the Indianapolis high school baseball scene.

They didn’t start the season as they hoped, losing 21-1 to Bishop Chatard in the opener before losing 5 more in row. After a heart-breaking 29-0 loss to Franklin, the team regrouped and won 4 straight, including an 8-7 comeback win against Arsenal Tech.

“I’m not really happy with our season, we haven’t beat some of the teams we should’ve beaten, ” said Sophomore Cameiron Jackson, left field.

Coach Rusty Hughes has said that this season has been frustrating for everyone. Currently at 4-7, they’re trying to get back to .500.

In spite of the losses, many on the team maintain a positive attitude.

“I think the team has been doing pretty good, but I wish I wasn’t injured” said Sophomore Evan Sanders.

Both Sanders and Jackson agree that they should have beaten teams they lost to, such as Broad Ripple and Shortridge. They’re on pace to win about the same amount of games, but feel they’ve improved from last year.

“I’ve gotten more people out at first, and I have decreased the amount of errors I’ve had” Sanders said of his own performance this year.

Jackson is new to the team this year, but feels he’s improved since the beginning of the year.

“In the beginning of the season, when I was new, I was more timid. But now I’m more confident and I feel I’ve been doing better because of it.” He also thinks the team has gotten better as the season has gone along, and now they’re playing more as a team.

Though they haven’t been doing as well as they’d hoped at the beginning of the season, the season is still not over. Their season ends after school does, after they play in their sectionals game. Jackson and Sanders still have goals for the rest of the season.

“My goal is to come back from my injury, my goal for the team would be to go undefeated the rest of the year and also for the freshman to get better so we can continue to improve” said Sanders.

Even though their record may not show it, the confidence of the baseball team has grown tremendously. They will be much more experienced next year, and with experience often comes success. Jackson already looking to the future and has big plans for the coming season:

“I promise we’ll be better next year, other teams better watch out for us.”